My Mission is to cultivate brand protection strategies for social enterprises and to inspire others by entertaining and engaging them through my passion for branding law, brands and do-gooder businesses.
- Personalized service: I learn about your business and identify the most cost effective way to protect your brands.
- Experience: With over 12 years of experience practicing trademark law and 5 years’ experience focusing on serving social enterprises, I primarily represent other responsible businesses nationwide. My active involvement in this community enables me to identify issues others miss, as I support responsible brands on both a professional and a consumer level. I even coined the term Brandvangelism — for gushing over Brands I Love.
- Passion for good business: As a responsible business leader myself, I am passionate about helping other social enterprises protect their brands thereby multiplying our positive impact for the greater good.
- Affordability: I tailor my legal service offerings to meet each client’s unique needs. I counsel individuals, nonprofit and for profit organizations of all sizes to meet their goals within their budgets without sacrificing protection due to cost.
More about me:
Since I began rock climbing in 1999 I admired Yvon Chouinard. I learned about his business philosophy by reading his autobiography, Let My People Go Surfing in December, 2005. Through it, I discovered the responsible business community and my life gradually changed. For the better.
First, in January 2006, the Law Office of Lara Pearson (LOLP) joined 1% for the Planet and I began donating pro bono legal services to 1%. I joined the Board of 1% in June 2006, and served as its Secretary through December 2009. I soon realized that my law firm could operate much more consciously. I researched and emulated some of the operational practices of highly successful companies like Patagonia and Clif Bar, which exist to create positive impact while having a minimal environmental footprint.
Recognizing that environmental groups need all the support they can get, I took on pro bono work for several more non-profits. And then came my epiphany. I realized numerous benefits come from working with other social enterprises. For one, the people are awesome! I strive to WOW my clients by exceeding their expectations for what an attorney-client relationship can be and it is easy to do so when working for people I consider friends. I also discovered that being in tune with the brands in the CSR (corporate social responsibility) space has enabled me to see things others miss, which uniquely helps me protect my client’s brands and avoid potentially costly mistakes. Most importantly, we are stronger together than we are on our own — there’s a multiplier effect when social enterprises do business together and our collective impact is so much greater than we can achieve individually.
In February 2009, I became a Partner and the Chief Sustainability Officer at Rimon, a Certified B Corporation and one of the first businesses to become a California benefit corporation. As law firm’s Chief Sustainability Officer I helped measure, report and counterbalance 100% of the carbon emissions from all of the attorney and staff’s office energy use, paper consumption, and transportation (business travel & commuting through the purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). I also initiated measurement of the law firm’s collective civic engagement through its staff and professionals’ pro bono legal work and volunteer activities.
I left Rimon in July, 2012 to join Exemplar Law, the first corporate law firm in the nation to completely abandon hourly billing (hooray!) in favor of fixed, value-based billing. Exemplar Law is sister companies with Exemplar Business, a business consulting firm and Exemplar Capital, an investment bank. Through this family of companies, Exemplar provides a coordinated, holistic approach to business growth by the full range of professional service providers growing organizations need. In addition to practicing trademark law at Exemplar, I also serve as the Sustainability Steward for the companies.
I am a member of the Social Venture Network and Brand Geek is a member of 1% for the Planet, as well as a Certified B Corporation and a Certified Green Business under the regional Keep the Sierra Green program.
- I currently provide pro bono legal services to:
- I have provided pro bono legal services to:
Learn even more about me: